Summer Show list 2010 is coming together! All shows are free or cheap and if you know anything that I don’t please email me at Gillian dot Grey at yahoo dot com. Thanks!
Sunday, May 23rd 10 PM = Wayne the Train Hancock @ Public Assembly
Saturday, June 5th 4 PM = Ebony Bones @ Central Park Summer Stage
Sunday, June 6th 8 PM = Ebony Bones @ Southpaw
Friday, June 18th 7 AM = Carole King and James Taylor @ The Today Show
Friday, June 25th 8 PM = Lucky Tubb and the Modern Day Troubadours @ Public Assembly
Friday, July 2nd 7 AM = Mary J. Blige @ GMA Rumsey Playfield, Central Park
Saturday, July 10th 12 PM = Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival @ Tobacco Warehouse (BK Bridge)
Saturday, July 10th 8 PM = The Goddamn Gallows @ The Bell House’s Annual Psychobilly Luau
Sunday, July 11th 3 PM = The Roots with Talib Kweli @ The Prospect Park Bandshell
Monday, July 12th 7:30 PM = George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic @ Wingate Field
Friday, July 23rd 8 PM = Viva le Vox @ Southpaw
Saturday, August 7th 6 PM = Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings @ Prospect Park Bandshell
Sunday, August 22nd 4 PM = Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears @ Central Park Summer Stage
I’ve had this compilation in my playlist since it arrived pre-ordered in the mail. It’s a great sampling of what some of us are listening to out there. The best review of it is by Triggerman of SavingCountryMusic.com
Here’s my rundown:
- Gates of Heaven by The Dad Horse Experience – This one is from left field for me. Apparently, old country music is the bomb diggity in parts of Europe right now and this German fellow put out this tune and somehow it works. I love it.
- Another Round by Ol’ Red Shed – I file songs like this under PBR. I’m not a fan of PBR and have smelled enough of it warm mixed with stage sweat to be turned off by some mindless drinking songs.
- Death Don’t Have No Mercy by Black Eyed Vermillion and Handsome Andy Gibson – Black Eyed Vermillion is Gary Lindsey’s band and Andy Gibson, excuse me, Handsome Andy Gibson is a music virtuoso on mando, steel guitar, drobo and many other instruments. They both play in Hank III’s bands and this is one of the side projects that’s happening. This song comforted me during a mourning period this spring and I actually smile every time I hear it.
- Ain’t No Diesel Trucks in Heaven by Bob Wayne – I think Bob Wayne is the best writer of the current genre. He is a master story teller and one of the artists that I have every record of. His interviews are worth reading as well.
- Closer Still by Rachel Brooke – She takes my breath away. I have a demo of hers that she made using her computer, a guitar, and a bottle of gin. It’s perfection.
Thurs. June 4th = 6 Day Bender @ Hank’s Saloon here in Brooklyn (FREE)
Sat. June 20th = Dead Prez @ Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival ($10)
Tue. June 23rd = Hank III & Assjack w/Lucky Tubb & The Modern Day Troubadours @ Toad’s Place in New Haven, CT ($20)
Wed. June 24th = Hank III & Assjack w/Lucky Tubb & The Modern Day Troubadours @ Music Hall of Williamsburg here in Brooklyn ($20)
Sat. June 27th & Sun. June 28th = Dave Brubeck Quartet, Saratoga Jazz Festival @ SPAC in Saratoga Springs, NY ($40 each day)
Thu. August 6th = Scott H Biram @ Union Hall here in Brooklyn
Fri. October 23 – Sunday Oct. 25th = WFMU Record Fair (dude, it’s Christmas in October!)
* Every Sunday is the African Drumming Circle at Drummer’s Grove in Prospect Park, Brooklyn (FREE)
*** If there are any shows that you know of that I’ll like and that are free or cheap, lemmie know by shooting me an email at gillian dot grey at yahoo dot com
Now that we’ve got the introduction out of the way, I’ll begin gas-bagging it. WHERE IS HANK III? Seriously. The last show we saw was 17 months ago. Do you know what that’s like for a fan that thinks he’s the sun moon and stars? I hope everything is well on his end and things work out to get him up here doing what he does best…soon.
U P D A T E :
Tour dates are now posted on his website! We’re going to see the gig at Toad’s Place in New Haven, CT on June 23rd and then here in Brooklyn at the Music Hall of Williamsburg on June 24th!
Opening will be Lucky Tubb & The Modern Day Troubadours (schweeet!)
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!